Sunday, September 9, 2012

The kinds of people i know

so i know the most amazing people!! and just so that you don't think i am completely biased i have taken a blog post that a friend of mine posted. YOu will realize that its so easy for me to be happy and enjoy my life because of the people i associate with. enjoy the reading, i know i did :)


Who I Am.

I have been pondering the question I feel we all ask ourselves at least once in our journey of life. Who am I? What defines me?

I used to think that the whole reason I was here on earth was to perform, I didn't think I was made for anything else. Nor did I think I was good at anything else.
And you are welcome to disagree but having something you enjoy and are good at being the core of how you describe yourself is not a healthy way to live. I would like you to ask yourself - Where is your sense of worth? If you happened to be in an accident and no longer could be mobile and sing and do what you did... have you all of a sudden lost who you are? No. You have not. Because who you are is very different from things you participate in and enjoy. Though things you enjoy and do are a part of your being, a part of your character - they do NOT define you.

After putting forth effort to explore other fields and areas of life, I have found a love and joy for things that I never would have known that I enjoyed, or had realized I was good at. Sometimes we need to take a step away from the thing that consumes the majority of our time and ask - is this a healthy thing for me?

I realized, thankfully, a long time ago - performing is not who i am. If there was no good to be done then I honest to goodness would not enjoy performing. The whole reason I do what I do is because I know it has the potential to bring about good. I don't do it for the money (though it is a perk), I don't do it for the fame, I don't do it so that people will know who I am... I do it because I know that my mere little contribution could possibly make a difference in somebody's life. Because of this realization I have come to a firm conclusion and have a better idea of who I am.

My name is Jessica Jenkins. I am 20 years old. I enjoy performing and music. I love people and am always willing to be a listening ear. I get along with nearly everyone and I love seeing my friends and family be happy. I love seeing other's testimonies shine through their eyes. I am a Daughter of God who knows that she has a purpose here on the earth to make a difference and not just to merely make a name for herself.  In a world where the 'what's cool and accepted' and what's not is continually changing from bad to worse I question more and more each day why anyone would want to be what the world wants them to be.

I challenge you to find who you are. I know that you have a Heavenly Father watching over you who knows. He has a divine plan for you. He has afforded us the opportunity to gain a body in this mortal life in the hopes that we will gain all the knowledge we can while here on earth. There is Life after this life. Death has lost its sting. Physical Death will not last forever. But remember, each and every day is a day closer to the reuniting day between us and our Heavenly King - BE who He needs you to be.

Russell M. Nelson. The "best gift we can give our Savior... is keeping ourselves unspotted from the world, worthy to attend His holy temple. And His gift to us will be the peace of knowing that we will be prepared to meet Him, whenever that time comes."

2 comments:

  1. Seems like light cleaves unto light...you're a pretty amazing person yourself, so of course you associate with other amazing people! If I had a blog, I could put up a post of yours and say the same thing about you - you're just a great person and friend, and I'm glad I know you

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Amen, Ben! Shay, you're such a fantastic example and I am SO glad to have been your visiting teacher (and vice versa) and friend. (: You're incredible!

    ReplyDelete