Sunday, August 5, 2012

The amazing race..... of a weekend

So this past Friday ( august 3, 2012) was a day to start a truly terrific weekend!  So i woke up Friday morning and well threw up. SO i was sick :( This did not make me a happy camper, but i decided i was not going to let some stomach problems get in my way from the goal i have had for some time. Anyway went to work and had the carpet clean Olympics. It was so much fun My team of course.. won. :) We had hose rolling competitions and trivia and all sorts of terrific events. Then after work i got to make dinner for my amazing grandparents. They got their mission call to San Fernando California this past week so I made them dinner. My sister was with them too. We had a great time together. I asked my grandpa to give me a priesthood blessing.  ( to learn more about priesthood blessings and the priesthood in general click on these links  priesthood blessingpriesthood. ) The blessing said nothing about doing well in my half marathon, it talked all about how i will have decisions to make in the future and i will be able to know what God wants me to do. It was all these things that were on my heart that i had not verbally expressed to him or anyone else. I know that my grandpa is a worthy priesthood holder who spoke for god and was inspired of him.    
         If that wasn't enough, i then went on to head to Mapleton Utah to run my first ever Half marathon with my terrific sister. So we went and I finished in 2 hours and 10 minutes. My sister finished ten minutes earlier! I was so proud of her! I was proud of myself. WE spent most of the time running together and just laughing and keeping each other entertained so that we wouldn't feel the pain. haha. It was great. I only got sick sick once :) It was such a great experience and it taught me i can do things i never thought i could. i know that the strength to finish came from knowing of all the people who have supported me and given me such confidence.

    Got to sleep for a couple of hours before getting up and helping my sister and her friend get ready for  a great experience. We got them dressed up like Disney Princesses and then went to Salt Lake and helped out with the Utah Miss Wheelchair pageant. Oh i wish i could express how much i loved being there. These girls had such shining spirits. THey always had a smile on their face and were willing to try anything they were asked. They were so grateful for the things they could do and it made me so grateful that i had legs that worked enough that i was able to run a half marathon. :) check on the wonderful pageant. ms wheelchair ;) .

If my weekend wasn't already terrific i got to go home and spend time with my family and really have some great talks with my mom. Got to go to a friends wedding reception, spend time with a wonderful friend who i hadn't seen in a while. Then today i went to a baby blessing for a family member and see my extended family. Then if i wasn't blessed enough, i got to spend time with a great friend here and got to talk with one of my greatest friends who is just starting med school. LIfe is truly a gift. I am so grateful for the weekend i had!!

2 comments:

  1. Shayli- I stand by my previous statement that you are an inspiration. Thank you for being so positive and so strong. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen (to the above comment)! I love your positivity and your shining spirit!

    ReplyDelete